Sparkle provides GÉANT with cloud solutions to support the pan-European research and education community.
Sparkle, the international service arm of TIM Group and among top 10 global operators, has signed a Framework Agreement with GÉANT, Europe's leading collaboration on e-infrastructure and services for research and education, to provide cloud services powered by Sparkle, TIM Nuvola Italiana and Amazon Web Services (AWS) to the pan-European research and education community.
Who is eligible?
Almost all Research and Education institutions, including Universities, within 30 countries across Europe.
In 12 countries Sparkle offers own cloud solutions as an Original Service Provider (OIP),
Eligible OIP countries: Albania, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Greece, Macedonia, Austria, Croatia, France, Malta, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia
while in the remaining 18 countries Sparkle resells Amazon Web Services.
Eligible AWS countries: Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom
Cloud platform provides virtualized computing resources and offers highly scalable resources that can be adjusted on-demand, representing an ideal solution for academic research characterized by workloads that are either temporary, experimental or subject to unexpected change.
As part of the cloud solutions Sparkle will support service authentication through eduGAIN, the global research and education infrastructure for single sign on access.
AWS egress waiver: We are signed up to the AWS egress waiver programme which means that when you use us you’re automatically enrolled - you don’t need to complete any additional paperwork to see the benefit
Delivering Sparkle's services through GÉANT significantly reduces cost and complexity, while providing higher security and better integration of the online services.
- - access to cloud-based Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) technology under special commercial terms
- - no need to complete a full OJEU tender process for every new IaaS contract
- - higher discounts that are only available under this framework agreement
- - one-stop availability of Amazon Web Services and Sparkle's Cloud Solutions
- - GÉANT and your NREN (national research and education network) can provide procurement and technical advice to their member institutions and may assist in brokering contracts under the framework on behalf of individual institutions
- - Alternatively, setting up agreements without NREN involvement directly with SPARKLE is possible within the framework as well
What are the benefits of the framework agreement?
- o Response to queries via phone calls and emails, 24x7 Service Desk which including a Contact Center and a Cloud Competence Center.
- o Service authentication through eduGAIN
- o Direct network peering between GÉANT and its own data centers
- o Cloud migration services and planning workshops
- o For Amazon Web Services under this framework, SPARKLE offers discounts based on an aggregated monthly spend from all GÉANT customers
Sparkle IaaS Solutions are based on world’s top performance vendor technologies and provide our customers with top class integrated IaaS, PaaS and SaaS services available in several DCs located worldwide. Fully owned next generation DCs are available in Italy, Turkey and Greece. Bundled offers with Sparkle’s connectivity make Cloud Solutions particularly effective to serve the needs of customers located in Europe, Middle East and Africa.
Leveraging TIM Group technical expertise and management know-how, Sparkle’s Cloud Solutions support customers in tailoring and optimizing their IT architecture and cost of services. The offering includes top security and reliability, easy and fast implementation, a high level of scalability, great flexibility in service configuration as well as in contractual solutions.
Sparkle is the wholly owned subsidiary of TIM Group (NYSE:TI) with the mission to develop and consolidate the Italian telco's international services business. As a leading global carrier and through a global backbone of around 560.000 km of fiber, Sparkle offers a full range of IP, Data, Cloud, Data Center, Mobile Data and Voice solutions to fixed and mobile operators, Internet service providers, Media and Content providers and to Multinational enterprises. Its sales force is active worldwide and distributed over 37 countries. Find out more about Telecom Italia Sparkle at www.tisparkle.com or www.world.tisparkle.com
GÉANT is Europe's leading collaboration on network and related e-infrastructure and services for the benefit of research and education, contributing to Europe's economic growth and competitiveness. The organisation develops, delivers and promotes advanced network and associated e-infrastructure services, and supports innovation and knowledge-sharing amongst its members, partners and the wider research and education networking community. To learn more, visit www.geant.org or follow us on Twitter @GEANTnews